- About this site
- The Doctorate
- Beyond the doctorate
- The academic career
- Transferable skills
- Swiss institutions
- Equal opportunities
Grants and subsidies
Grants and subsidies are awarded by :
- the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
- private foundations
Some examples of SNSF individual grants :
- grants financing doctoral training programmes awarded by the human and social sciences division ;
- grants awarded under the MD-PhD programme (programme for Doctors of Medicine and Science) ;
- subsidies for projects (free research) in the fields of the human and social sciences, mathematics, natural sciences and engineering ;
- Marie Heim-Vögtlin (MHV) grants for researchers who have had to interrupt their research activities due to family obligations (children) or changes of residence as a result of their partner’s career ;
Grants for prospective researchers that allow young scientists starting their career to spend time at a foreign research institute.
In addition to the Marie Heim-Vögtlin grants of the SNSF, different funds seek to encourage the next generation of women academics. The equal opportunities offices of the different universities can advise doctoral students. Much information can also be found on their websites.
The SNSF and universities also award subsidies for thesis publication.
University of Fribourg: Research Promotion Service
University of Geneva: Research Sector
University of Lausanne: Research
University of Neuchâtel: Commission de recherche (in French)
Università della Svizzera italiana: Servizio ricerca